Sunday, October 31, 2010

Social Networking: Changing the Definition of "Social" One Poke at a Time

I don't particularly consider myself to be a "social" person. Throughout my youth, I was always the one picked last for kickball at recess, or sometimes I just played on my own. I was however, picked first by the bullies at school who somehow saw me as someone who had boatloads of lunch money. I must have exuded the sort of aura which many found weird, standoffish, or even intimidating (I tend to prefer the latter) because I never actively sought out the type of social acceptance that seemed to be the norm, especially in junior and senior high school. I extra-curricular activities a chose (and still choose to some extent) were those that placed me in front of a crowd, rather than in the middle of one, which is where I prefer to be to this day, though to a somewhat lesser extent most likely. So how does someone like me, who grew up having very few close friends, end up with having (at last tally) 657 "friends" on Facebook? Now, this is not to say that those bullies from junior high are in my social network (I actually think they're in the slammer, actually), but it would seem like an awful lot of these "friends" are people with whom I have a very tenuous connection. Indeed, there are even a few I have never actually met face-to-face!
In chapter 5 of her book Always On: Language in an  Online and Mobile World, Naomi Baron addresses the online "friend" phenomenon, specifically on Facebook. Her study of this online experience discovered that many users are in fact quite "casual" in the way they accept friends, and this in no way is correlative with the number of "real" friends they have and even goes as far as identifying this trend as comparable to a sort of online sport (p. 89). I will readily admit that I have fallen victim to this very trend on numerous occasions since Facebook has an element of excitement and intrigue that is downright addictive. So, it is easy to get wrapped up in this and forget that the person you just confirmed as a "friend" is actually someone you met once for ten minutes almost a decade ago. It seems to me that Facebook, as well as other social network sites, are attracting generations of shy and anti-social folks and allowing them to make connections that they normally would have never made. Baron also analyzes the IM applications and how people use their "away messages" to give the appearance of being out and about with a group of friends, when in actuality, their sitting in their room alone doing nothing. It would seem then, that these social network sites allow everybody, regardless of social status, to have a presence everywhere without leaving home.
Erik Qualman, in his book Socialnomics, discusses the overall efficacy of social networks. One point that he brings up is how blogging is an indispensible tool for recording your thoughts and opinions, and also for sharing news. Nowadays, people expect the news to come to them and are often put off by having to have subscriptions to online newspapers in order to get the latest scoop. Blogging is a way for regular, everyday people to become recognized experts in their areas of interest because they are right there experiencing the news, whereas a reporter for a newspaper is simply reporting second-hand information. It took me quite a while (relatively speaking) to get into blogging. I'm still trying to make my blog posts as personalized as possible rather than making them sound like a formal essay. But through my recent experiences with blogging, I am able to see why it is so popular and why it is gaining acceptance not only a valuable research tool, but also for the purposes of social networking and getting my ideas into the public sphere.
I used to lament the fact that I was a little anti-social, mostly because I realized that I came off as being a little rude when I chose to keep to myself in social situations. Even though I am still somewhat ill at ease in social situations, I have found solace in my ability to network with a large number of people and to promote my own projects without having to put myself into those uncomfortable environments where I am expected to be talkative and outgoing. Now I have a sort of shield which is helping me express myself in a manner which works for me.

7 comments:

  1. "Baron also analyzes the IM applications and how people use their "away messages" to give the appearance of being out and about with a group of friends, when in actuality, their sitting in their room alone doing nothing."

    I could also argue that the people who use Facebook constantly and update their status multiple times a day are actually just really bored and have nothing better to do then consume themselves in a social world online. It does help people connect and sometimes I think gives people a false sense of connectedness. It doesn't matter how many Facebook friends you have, if you are sitting home alone on a Friday with no one to spend time with, how social are you? While I love Facebook and I think it is a great way to stay in contact with people, I also accept the fact that users need to get off the computer and get out in the real world to experience more of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil,
    You wrote, "It seems to me that Facebook, as well as other social network sites, are attracting generations of shy and anti-social folks and allowing them to make connections that they normally would have never made." I find this fascinating because while I am shy and anti-social as well, for some reason I don't use Facebook to make connections with people I normally would not have. I am very selective of my friends on Facebook and quite private about things on there.

    HOWEVER (and this is a biggie), I'm totally with you on the shield that social networking/online activities provide. If we were in a classroom setting, I'd be one (if not the) quietest people in the class (likely sitting at the back). BUT, here, online, I'm open, honest, opinionated, and somewhat "vocal". The me online is a better representation of my true self than the me I would present in a classroom. Funny what a screen to hide behind can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil,

    Like Brieanna admitted, I also fall into the shy categorey and would be right next to her in the back quiet as a mouse. I much prefer being vocal in an online setting. It is true that Facebook and other social networks appeal to the shy crowd. Some of my most heated Facebook debates and discussions are with my shy, quiet, yet quite knowledgeable and passionate friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an open post. I was wondering as I read it before the comments, if you would have shared that if we were sitting in a classroom together. Thoughts? I think this can be the power of social networking when it is real and authentic, not just random stuff.

    I am always amazed at the posts I see come up during the work day and wonder what employers think about all of this. Is it just the norm and should it be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neil,
    I liked your statement in the last paragraph about blogs and how they are a great place to view the latest news stories and things that are happening in the world today from a fresh perspective. Your point about people not wanting to add a subscription to an on-line newspaper sites is also pertinent . Like you, I have come to learn the importance of blogging through my personal entries too. I think that blogging is something that you have to jump into, and see what happens with it. As I receive more comments on my posts, I get the sense that my blog is making a difference, I hope you feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look back at my youth and I, like you, was always outside the social circle. I also gave my share of lunch money to bullies. My only solace was at home where the bullies could not get to me. With facebook I often wonder where bullied teens go to get away from the bullies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because you mention it here, "I'm still trying to make my blog posts as personalized as possible rather than making them sound like a formal essay," I have to say that while your writing is still so strong and obviously elicits comments from your peers, I wouldn't mind some images or white space to break up the text.

    ReplyDelete