Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Academic Blogging as New Literacy

Here goes nothing. In this, my first-ever blog post, I find myself awakening from a technological slumber to find that I have not only been thrown to the proverbial sharks, but that I wish I had been tossed here a long time ago. As much as I enjoy the look of my own words in print, the concept of blogging, for me, has elicited a lukewarm response, particularly as it pertained to academic pursuits. But now, as I tread water in the blogosphere in pursuit of a life raft, I feel compelled to comment on this phenomenon from the perspective of a virgin blogger who nonetheless swims forth with ardor in the hopes of finding a level horizon.

As someone who had yet to consider blogging a legitimate form of communication, I was naturally awestruck by the possibilities once I began investigating its academic merits. To that end, I can fairly confidently assert that I likely would not have given blogging a second thought if these merits had not been introduced to me in the reading "Academic Blogging as New Literacy." The authors describe the social practice of blogging in general and how blogs serve a dual purpose as a "tool for interpersonal communication and mass communication" (p. 169). In this, any type of blogger has the ability to present him or herself ultimately for the purpose of self-discovery. In the collegiate, "publish or perish" environment of modern academia, blogs can provide an outlet for professors to test the scholarly waters and gain valuable insight from colleagues. In addition, this provides the opportunity for them to learn about what others in the field are working on, practically in real-time.

Without mentioning him by name, the authors invoke the work of the late rhetorical theorist Marshall McLuhan by using his "medium is the message" theory to define the scope of blogging. Even before the days of instant information, the medium through which information is transmitted ultimately controls the message itself. This theory has held true through the advent of telephones, television, and the internet, which gave birth to the blog. The authors describe the "nature and the fabric of the text" (p. 182) and how it effects the relationship between the bloggers, active readers, and "blurkers," a portmanteau for blog lurkers who read but rarely interact. The internet is indeed a tightly-woven web of text which enables users of all fancies to use the medium to their eternal benefit.

So is blogging a new literacy? Has this phenomenon regenerated the concept of what it means to communicate? In a word: absolutely. But one could also argue that previous technologies can also stake a claim in changing how a message is disseminated. Marshall McLuhan made this claim in the 1960s and I believe this to be a perennial idea. The article focuses on "academic blogging" but acknowledges the inevitable overlap between "serious and more frivolous discourses" (p.193). From studying this reading, and now from blogging myself for the first time, I am beginning to understand the inherent value in using the medium as both a teaching and learning approach and may find myself doing things for the purpose of blogging about it!

8 comments:

  1. nicely done! I am glad your eyes are opening to another side of the blogosphere as I find, being introduced to blogs in 2003 when they were just starting to boom, once you find some that you like reading, you can learn a lot! You can notice that focus in my own blogrolls, where I have listed all the academic, entertaining, and New Orleans-specific blogs.

    BLOG ON! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had that Marshall McLuhan thought pop into my head….I will try and remember back to my class on Visual Communications my freshman year of undergrad. We read a horribly boring book on Semiotics (study of sign processes (semiosis), or signification and communication, signs and symbols), and now I wish I would have paid more attention. We talked about McLuhan’s “The Medium is the Message” or as my professor said, “The Medium is the Massage.” I think this all ties back into the articles because the way information is communicated (through different mediums and with different signs and symbols) can affect how people understand and how they communicate back. Blogging is only one example but the fact that not everyone has a computer or can read blogs affects the deliverance of that message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all - great post!

    I think that every new generation of technology (telegraph, printing press, radio, television, phone, internet, etc) changes the way we communicate in one form or another. It's a matter of how quickly they are adopted these days (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, etc) that may be the differentiator...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But one could also argue that previous technologies can also stake a claim in changing how a message is disseminated."

    I agree with this statement, literacy has changed throughout the ages. It is ever evolving and changing. At one point only the wealthy were literate as they were the only ones who could afford books in the days before the printing press. After the printing press literacy changed, everyone could be literate, with the concept of freedom of the press, literacy changed once again. As the printed word became cheaper and cheaper to produce literacy changed, more people wrote, more people read...with the advents of new technology there is no telling what the next step in literacy will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your opening paragraph and the way you see blogging. Your design is also very notable. Lastly I enjoyed the last paragraph where you talk about how blogging as a communication tool, well spoken!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can connect with your first feelings of blogging. It reminds me of the first time that I used the Internet. I was unsure about the whole concept and it took me quite a while to understand how it worked. I am having a much easier time blogging though, because I already know how to use the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neil:
    You bring up a great point referring to blogging as giving us the ability to present ourselves ultimately for the purpose of self-discovery and testing the merits of our ideas in academia. I myself feel exactly the same way. Being able to throw ideas out there and getting feedback almost instantaneously in and of itself kind of creates a new literacy, in a way. I think McLuhan would really did blogs and probably teach us some new, really fascinating dimensions of this to consider.

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post--very well written! I like your discussion on blogs as a tool for up and coming professors as a means to "test the scholarly waters." I think it really is a tool to give confidence to less seasoned researchers. I hope to continue blogging as I pursue a PhD so I may reap similar benefits.

    ReplyDelete