Sunday, September 26, 2010

Preparing for the Next Generation

My apologies in advance for the shorter-than-usual blog post this week. Today was my thirtieth birthday, so I've had a rather busy weekend. Perhaps not surprisingly, the article from this week's lineup that interested me the most was "Preparing for the Next Generation" by Alan J. Porter. This article was not interesting so much because of its convenient brevity (though this was very nice!), but because it discusses an issue which is very topical. On page 20, Porter relates a story of observing his daughter conduct research on Pearl Harbor. He describes how she uses the internet and sites like Wikipedia to find information, as well as online chat applications and other social media to gather the needed information. This part in particular jumped out at me because I've been thinking more and more lately how technology today is almost eliminating the concept of linear thinking. Because books seem to be taking a backseat (in a lot of areas) to more technological means of obtaining knowledge, the need to see the information in a linear fashion (i.e. reading each line of text) seems to be becoming obsolete. By comparison, the internet (including sites like Wikipedia) arrange text in such a way as to facilitate a quicker mode of "reading." I'm not sure that most people looking for information on Wikipedia read the entire article(s), but rather skim, or even jump to the section that contains the needed information. Many sites are set up in this way.

So the question I pose is this: Is technology inadvertently making it more difficult for people to read books?

(Sorry for the lack of comment on the "Wired Bodies in the Wireless Classroom" article. I read it twice over the past few days and still am trying to wrap my mind around it!)

5 comments:

  1. First of all, Happy Birthday!

    Second, I think it depends on the type of book. Technology hasn't impacted my ability to sit down and read fiction in a linear manner. It has, though, influenced how I read and absorb information online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You present an interesting point on how the Internet has produced a whole new group of readers -- the skimmers. I think that it is becoming more challenging, especially for younger readers to read and understand a large chunk of text. Younger people are accustomed to reading smaller bits of information. A book, just by its appearance, for some people can be overwhelming. I think that in the future we will need to change the appearance of text.

    Happy Birthday!

    Carmen Butt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the 30s! :)

    There's a great book by Gunther Kress called Literacy in the New Media Age and on the Google Books preview [http://books.google.com/books?id=UIV_jgspvFMC&lpg=PA4&ots=ZpKRKRd_K0&dq=kress%20imaginary%20reading%20paths&pg=PA4#v=onepage&q&f=false] it looks like you can read the section where he talks about "imaginary reading paths." Basically, he's describing what you mentioned--how reading online often leads us to click on links and possibly never return to [or finish reading] the original place we began.

    I think the tangible nature of the book may force people to turn pages and remain focused while the screen offers lots of distractions--but that's just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy B-day! I also hit on some of these points you have made about how his daughter used the Google search engine. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday!

    I found this NY Times article, "Literacy Debate: Online, R U Really Reading?" It had a lot of good info that might answer your last question.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/books/27reading.html?scp=1&sq=%22reading%20online%22&st=cse

    ReplyDelete